Saturday, May 11, 2013

Barbeque Fun

Alas, our good fortune of restful nights was not to be. Landon slept relatively well last night but, unfortunately, the key word in that phrase is relatively. He fussed after each of his feedings for about an hour, seriously shortening our naps. We've seen the dark and the light so I suppose last night was a bit of gray. We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our feeding tube extensions so that we can start using the auto-syringe again. We still sit up and hold him while we feed but being able to sit back and relax instead of staring at the second-hand on the clock so we don't miss a push every 30 seconds over half an hour will be a relief. They should arrive tomorrow or Monday.

At noon today we had the pleasure of eating lunch with our vet school family at barbeque hosted by the Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SCAVMA) for Landon's benefit. The event had a rough estimate of 250 attendees in another display of the incredible generosity of everyone with whom we cross paths. SCAVMA President Kyle Clymer, Dr. David Poole, and Dean Elmore were incredible sports and let me throw a pie in each of their faces to help raise funds and celebrate the success of the fundraiser. The video of the pieing can be seen below as well as on the "An Adventure with Landon" facebook page, which I invite all of you to join and comment on if you wish:
https://www.facebook.com/AnAdventureWithLandon

The most rewarding part of the fundraiser was the opportunity to share our beautiful son with so many who had been thinking and praying for him. Dozens of people were able to see and touch him for the first time and we enjoyed being able to have him outside for an extended period today. With all the attention and noise, Karen and I were a bit worried that he may have a seizure at some time but were relieved when he went episode free all afternoon. We also saw our pictures with Landon and, while he was as cute as ever, I finally realized the ragged visage I have developed since his birth. I was in desperate need of a haircut before Landon's birth and the last three weeks have not been abundant in free time nor time out of doors. I think I have progressed beyond pale to fluorescent. It's amazing that Karen as managed to stay well-kempt and beautiful through the entire process.

After the barbeque, Karen was treated to a nail appointment by three of our good friends and spent a couple hours with the girls while I watched Little Goat. The dad and son time was nice and gave Landon and I the chance to eat together, listen to some music, and watch a little ESPN (that might have been more for dad). During a diaper change, Landon's umbilical stump even came off! This brings a little relief due to the irritation he has been experiencing when his cord has rubbed on the top of his diaper. It might even help him sleep a little better at night. When Karen arrived home, she took over so that I could get a quick haircut before we took family pictures this afternoon. I struggle to be photogenic. To be honest, I struggle to look like I'm not in pain in photos, so I really need all the help I can get. Looking like a caveman just wasn't going to fly so I went in for a more clean-cut look.

My friend and classmate Lori Agulian came by the house this afternoon to take pictures of the family for us. Although she said this was her first baby shoot, she did an outstanding job. Her ideas for photos were unique and the results I have seen so far are incredible. I am excited to share the photos with all of you slowly over the blog but as both of us have finals this next week, it may be a week or two before we get many back. If you would like to see them as she finishes you can find her facebook page at:
https://www.facebook.com/LoriAgulianPhotography


For those who are interested, my dad has decided to get an order of "Team Landon" wristbands to make getting them easier for our friends and family in Nebraska. The American Exchange Bank in Elmwood has agreed to have the wristbands available there, as has my dad's consignment store Bits and Pieces and More. I wanted to express my gratitude again for the efforts of organizations within the veterinary school who have sponsored fundraisers for Landon's benefit. These include, but are not limited to, the Christian Veterinary Fellowship, SCAVMA, Classes of 2013-2016, Exotic Animal Medicine Club, and others who have sponsored a taco feed, barbeque, bake sale, Chili's profit share, running pledge, and more. Your efforts have really been incredible and I wish I could thank each of you by name. People like you all should give hope to the world as a shining example of the good that resides in the heart of mankind.

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.” - Paulo Coelho

1 comment:

  1. I have seen your family pictures over on your facebook page. I love them all. You guys are such a beautiful family. I have asked my church family to think of you guys and keep them in their prayers. Most of them are in agreement with me that God has special plans for this little boy. All we can do is to trust in God that he knows what he is doing.

    ReplyDelete