Friday, May 10, 2013

Meeting the Vet School Family

Small miracles happen every day. Last night, Landon went to bed at midnight and slept until the sun was out. Karen and I woke up in tiny panics every few hours because we are so used to his crying. Those were some of the most beautiful hours of sleep I've ever had the pleasure of sleeping. We handled a small fussy episode shortly after six and then we slept again, all the way until ten. This restful night could not have come at a better time as we were both struggling to make it through the day yesterday. Maybe Landon has decided we passed the test and it's time to give us a break. We can hope.

With homework to turn in, I decided to bring Karen and Landon with me to school so they could meet some of the people that have been so supportive and proactive to our benefit. We are so grateful to everyone at the school for their compassion, selflessness, and understanding so it was nice to give them a chance to see and touch Landon in person. Goat handled all the attention wonderfully and slept through the entire experience. With his continued stability, Karen and I feel comfortable bringing him to more appearances in the future, starting tomorrow. There is an end of the year barbeque each year at the vet college and this year they have been generous enough to use it as a fundraiser for Landon. We will be attending this lunch tomorrow and Landon might help me throw a pie at the Dean!

Finally, after 10 days out of the NICU, Karen and I are comfortable in our feeding schedule. One of us takes the midnight and 3 am feeding, the other takes the 6 and 9, and we split the rest of the day back and forth. There are definitely a few perks to this schedule. First, we each get the chance to get 4 or 5 hours in a row without waking, assuming Landon doesn't cry too much at night (a poor assumption). Secondly, we have perfected falling asleep. I haven't tossed or turned in bed for three weeks. Lastly, it gives me a chance to study at night when I normally take the midnight and 3, just staying up to study in between (and write the blog of course).

A few small duties of normal parenthood were accomplished and each one felt like a terrific achievement. I'm not sure if bathing a baby gets easier with time but I think we have decided that it is a two person job at least. Landon is a wiggle-worm and he does not enjoy being wet one bit. He's much cuter when he is happy and clean though. Karen also finished our small mountain of laundry while I studied. I have to admit, I'm not sure why we haven't been using baby detergent for years. My clothes have never felt softer or smelt better. I think we are both tired tonight, even after our restful night yesterday. There is something about being up all night that lingers with you.

With my semester finals coming this next week, I may be pressed for time in the evenings. Given the situation, I apologize if the blog gets a bit abbreviated each night for the next week or so. I will do my best to give a full update but the writing will likely be a bit more concise and direct. That being said, the half hour to an hour I spend writing these comments are some of the most relaxing minutes of my day. You've all become an outlet for my frustration and a megaphone for our triumphs and that is such a blessing to have in my life.

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." - Albert Schweitzer

Thank you all for being the sparks that keep our spirits alight.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that Landon handled all the attention really well. I hope that he continues to be that calm and unaffected by people around him. It's a sign that he is getting stronger. I continue to pray for him as well as Karen and you.

    ReplyDelete