Sunday, June 16, 2013

Diaper Rash Solved




As I’ve mentioned before, Landon has had a very sore diaper rash for almost two weeks now. Even with the most diligent care, we could not get the rash to resolve. While eating dinner with my parents for Father’s Day, my mom suggested we call the pediatrician to take a look at it. I didn’t expect Dr. Schmidt to answer, let alone make time to see Landon but he called us right back and invited us to the rental home he was working on to take a look. After a quick check he diagnosed an infection under the skin. He was not surprised to hear that our best efforts were unable to heal Landon’s sore bottom. Because the infection is under the skin, none of the topical antibiotics, antifungals, drying powders, or zinc lotions had any effect. The oral antibiotics Goat is on now should clear the infection up in the next week.

Dr. Schmidt’s excellent standard of care brings emphasis to the struggle we have faced finding a pediatrician in Manhattan. With his policy under Karen maxed out, his secondary insurance is through KanCare, a program that is part of Kansas Medicaid. We have called almost two dozen pediatricians in the Manhattan area and have been repeatedly turned away, either due to his current insurance provider or because of the complications associated with his condition. I understand that their position is difficult but we are still frustrated that we have to drive two hours to take Landon to the doctor. We are optimistic that we will find a doctor in Manhattan that will take him as a patient eventually but we would definitely prefer to find one sooner rather than later.

As this is my first Father’s day, I’d like to thank my own dad for all the lessons he has taught me and for being my role model for what a father should be. I have been blessed to have such incredible parents and I hope I can be as good a dad to Landon and any future children as my dad was too me. I’d also like to thank my father-in-law Jim for raising the incredible daughter I call my wife. Both of our parents have already proven that they are incredible grandparents as well through our nieces and nephews (Kayden, Jamison, and Sophie). Everyone reading this blog has a dad or father figure that helped guide and shape them into the person they are today. Don’t forget to call that person and thank them for their time and influence in your life.

One of the many surprises we have discovered on this journey is how many other people and families have dealt with the loss of a child. While the circumstances are always different, it seems that the memory of the child who passes always seems to fade with time, especially outside the family. I would like to encourage all those parents who have lost a child to share their story and let everyone know about their blessing and loss. Write it on facebook, leave it in the comments, share with friends and neighbors. Although Landon is still with us, we have been prepared for him to leave us too soon. We want everyone that has been in our situation to know that you are not alone and there is support out there if you want it.

1 comment:

  1. Happy first father's day! hugs to you, Karen and Landon.

    ReplyDelete