Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Messages from past generations

Our adventure with Landon has found us at a thick jungle lately, with seemingly lots to do but feeling like we're going nowhere. The good news with Landon is that he has not had a seizure in three weeks and continues to grow in strength, weight, and length. The difficulty for Karen and I is that his added stamina fuels longer and longer crying sessions. Today he has been fussing off and on since before noon. I just slipped away now, at 1 am, to write the blog and I can still hear him going in the basement. He has no fever, he is digesting his food well, and his diaper rash has cleared up pretty nicely. Frustratingly, nothing we do seems to help. He isn't screaming but rather just whining and fussing. We looked for incoming teeth and found nothing. Temperature changes seem to help momentarily and then he'll start up again. Hopefully he will have worn himself out soon. He does fall asleep occasionally but as soon as he wakes up the fussing starts again. I can safely say that all three of us are exhausted.


We did have the opportunity to visit my Grandpa Charles this afternoon so that we could check up on him after a recent surgery and so that he could see how much Landon has grown. My Aunt Sherri came by to visit while we were there and I know they both enjoyed getting a chance to hold the Little Goat, even if he was fussy. We met my sister, brother-in-law, and niece in Lincoln to celebrate my mom's birthday over dinner. Normally car rides lull Landon right to sleep but today we had no such luck and he remained grouchy to and from Grandpa's and the restaurant. We still had fun at dinner and I would like to congratulate both my Mom and my Mom-in-law on their recent birthday (June 3rd and 5th respectively). We were able to celebrate Denise's birthday on Saturday evening with dinner, cake, and a movie as a family.

With as much counsel as we have received from parents and grandparents, we recently had a curious interaction with an older relative. One of the many generous gifts we have received for Landon was a collection of money and card of well-wishes from my dad's coworkers, whom also happen to be my former high school and elementary school teachers. Many bible verses of strength through difficult times were on the card but one, from my former calculus teacher Mr. Hill, was foreign to me. He referenced Habakkuk, a book I was only vaguely remembered existing, chapter 3, verses 17-19. The book of Habakkuk is only about a page and a half long and I'm sure I've only ever skimmed through it when reading before. To read the verses, my mom grabbed my great grandmother Clark's Bible, which sits next to my parent's loveseat ornamentally. This particular Bible hadn't been read since my great grandmother's death, long before I was born, but it was accessible and the quickest way to look up our mystery verse. Grandma Clark had left a bookmark in her Bible when she passed away and we were all shocked to discover that the bookmark was left in the exact book, in the exact chapter, and on the exact verses Mr. Hill had suggested.

Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.
19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.
For the director of music. On my stringed instruments.


For further background, my Great-Grandmother Clark, mother of my mother's mother, lost her own baby boy after only nine hours to an unknown illness. This woman would have read the Bible daily, gathering her strength and solace from the words of God. Perhaps it is coincidental the in our time of greatest need, we had her Bible with the verses she went to for comfort in her own darkest moments. It might be by chance that a former role model's guidance brought us to her Bible and to look for those some words. We aren't big believers in coincidence, chance, and luck though.

I will collaborate all the verses we have been guided to and list them for your leisure in a future blog. We believe the strength and courage available in these texts can help those in need, no matter the situation. There is guidance all around us, from family, friends, and beyond that we hope to share with any who need it. We thank God for the community around us daily and hope that all of you will have the opportunity to meet Landon someday.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Definitely a connection there. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family and your story are an inspiration to us all Trent! Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Bible is always a great guide for those in need of comfort and strength. So glad that you have found words that help you.

    ReplyDelete